Once you have your Android Enterprise configured and you have setup your first Android Policy, you can start enrolling your Android devices. Let’s take a look at it.
Enrollment options #
Applivery supports multiple ways to enroll your Android devices:
- Manual enrollment through a QR code or alphanumeric code
- Android Zero-touch, designed for automated enrollment
Management options #
As part of Android Enterprise, there are two main ways to manage your devices, depending on the use case:
- Company owned devices: also known as “Fully managed” is the operating mode that provides full control over the device. It requires to factory reset (wipe) the device to start a clean enrollment.
- Bring your own device (BYOD): also known as “Work profile” is the mode that allows you to combine a personal/private space with a corporate one. The corporate space will be fully encrypted and you will have full control over it. Devices can be enrolled and unenrolled in/from work profile without factory resetting the device.
Manual enrollment (code or QR) #
Step 1 - Create a user #
Users are a logical entity in Applivery that will allow you to group devices. Users are defined by an email address that needs no confirmation so that you can user real emails or just generic ones to represent legal entities, areas or spaces. To create a user go to MDM > Users and click “+ Create user” green button. Then type the email address and click “Create“.
Step 2 - Create new enrollment #
Once done, go to MDM > Devices and click “+Enroll new device“. Fill out the form as follows:
- Display name (optional): friendly name to easily identify the device among the others
- MDM User: user that owns the device.
- Device: choose between Android or Apple, depending on the type if device you would like to enroll
- Duration: expiration time of the enrollment token that will be generated
- Policy: select the policy that will be applied to the user. If you still dont have a policy, please create one first under MDM > Policies.
- Management mode: select between Fully managed and Work profiles, as described above.
- Notification (optional): choose whether you want to send a notification to the user including the enrollment instructions that will vary depending on the enrollment mode.
Step 3 - Enroll the device #
Once crated the enrollment, it will be added greyed out to the list of devices. Click on it to display the enrollment details and instructions.
Note that the instructions will vary based on the enrollment mode and the type of device (Android Apple) but in most of the cases you will need to use a QR code to enroll the device. In summary the enrollment requires the following steps:
Fully managed #
- Turn on your wiped or factory-reset device.
- Option 1: On the Welcome screen, select your language.
- Option 2: Tap 7 times over the “Wellcome” message until accessing the QR Reader option.
- Connect to your Wifi and then choose NEXT.
- Accept the Google Terms and conditions and then choose NEXT
- On the Google sign-in screen, enter afw#setup instead of a Gmail accountand then choose NEXT.
- Choose INSTALL for the Android Device Policy app. Continue installation of this policy. Some devices may require additional terms acceptance.
- On the Enroll this device screen , allow your device to scan a QR code or choose to enter the enrollment code manually.
- Lastly, please follow carefully all the steps on your Mobile phone screen to complete the enrollment.
Work profile #
- Go to Settings > Google .
- Tap Set up work profile .
- Wait for the download of the Android Device Policy App on your device.
- You will be prompted to scan a QR code to complete the work profile setup or choose to enter the enrollment code manually
- Lastly, please follow carefully all the steps on your device screen to complete the enrollment.
Android Zero-touch #
If you are looking to a more automated way to enroll devices, you can take advantage of Android Zero-touch.
This enrollment method pre-provision your devices through their IMEI or Serial number in coordination with the device manufacturer or reseller. You can link, configure and access your Android Zero-touch portal in MDM > Settings > Zero-touch section