Once you have your Android Enterprise configured and you have setup your first Android Policy, you can start enrolling your Android devices. Let’s take a look at it.
Enrollment options #
Applivery supports multiple ways to enroll your Android devices:
- Manual enrollment through a QR code or alphanumeric code
- Android Zero-touch, designed for automated enrollment
Management options #
As part of Android Enterprise, there are two main ways to manage your devices, depending on the use case:
- Company owned devices: also known as “Fully managed” is the operating mode that provides full control over the device. It requires to factory reset (wipe) the device to start a clean enrollment.
- Bring your own device (BYOD): also known as “Work profile” is the mode that allows you to combine a personal/private space with a corporate one. The corporate space will be fully encrypted and you will have full control over it. Devices can be enrolled and unenrolled in/from work profile without factory resetting the device.
Manual enrollment (code or QR) #
Step 1 - Create an employee #
Employees are a logical entity in Applivery that will allow you to group devices. Employees are defined by an email address that needs no confirmation so that you can use real emails or just generic ones to represent legal entities, areas or spaces. To create an employee go to Device Management > Employees and click the “+ Create employee” button. Then type the email address and name, then click “Create“.
Step 2 - Create new enrollment #
Once done, go to Device Management > Devices and click “+ Enroll device“. Fill out the form as follows:
- Platform: Choose between Android or Apple, depending on the type of device you would like to enroll.
- Management mode: Select between Fully managed and Work profile, as described above.
- Employee: User that owns the device. You can create a new employee introducing the email address.
- Policy: Choose the policy to apply to the device. If you haven’t created it yet, you can do so under Device Management > Policies. Alternatively, you can create a new policy here and configure it at a later time.
- Display name (optional): A friendly name to easily identify the device among the others.
- Expire after: The expiration time of the enrollment token that will be generated.
- Send instructions email to employee (optional): Choose whether you want to send a notification to the user including the enrollment instructions that will vary depending on the enrollment mode.
Step 3 - Enroll the device #
Once crated the enrollment, it will be added to the list of devices. Click on it to display the enrollment details and instructions.
Note that the instructions will vary based on the enrollment mode and the type of device (Android / Apple) but in most of the cases you will need to use a QR code to enroll the device. In summary the enrollment requires the following steps:
Fully managed #
- Turn on your wiped or factory-reset device.
- Option 1: On the Welcome screen, select your language.
- Option 2: Tap 7 times over the “Wellcome” message until accessing the QR Reader option.
- Connect to your Wifi and then choose NEXT.
- Accept the Google Terms and conditions and then choose NEXT.
- On the Google sign-in screen, enter afw#setup instead of a Gmail accountand then choose NEXT.
- Choose INSTALL for the Android Device Policy app. Continue installation of this policy. Some devices may require additional terms acceptance.
- On the Enroll this device screen , allow your device to scan a QR code or choose to enter the enrollment code manually.
- Lastly, please follow carefully all the steps on your Mobile phone screen to complete the enrollment.
Work profile #
- Go to Settings > Google > Set up work profile. Alternatively you can open a provided URL, or scan a QR code.
- Wait for the opening of the Android Device Policy App. In case it’s not yet installed on your device, wait for the download/install of the Android Device Policy App on your device. It will be opened automatically once installed.
- In some Android versions you will be prompted to introduce an enrollment code or scan a QR code to complete the work profile setup.
- Lastly, please follow carefully all the steps on your device screen to complete the enrollment.